Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Book review: Teddy's Button

   This story is incredibly sweet and adorable, and you will love mischievous yet gentle and sweet Teddy, and you will love stubborn and persistent Nancy. 
   They are both young, 9 or 10, and are the cutest characters! You will grow to love and cherish the book, treasure it, keep it, save it, defend it, and then pass it on to one of your children with the same rules. At least that is what I will do. 
   Here's a few of my favorite parts: 

(now try to imagine this is English accents) 
"And my father died! His last words to his colonel were, "Captain dead sir! but I've got the flag!" He dropped dead at the colonels feet, blood gushing out of his heart,over his clothes and over this button! 30 bullets and 6 swords had gone into my fathers body. He was a soldier of soldiers he was."
"Oh I say!" murmured a small skeptic from the crowd, "it was twenty bullets last time Teddy, make it fifty, Teddy!" 
"And that is the story of my button," pursued the boy ignoring the scorn in this last remark. 
"And did your father only have one button on your coat?" 
The voice was a strange one, and they turned to see a girl. 
"One button! the coat was sent to mother with only one button left on it, and if you" -- here he turned upon his questioner with a little fierceness, "If you had been through such a bloody battle, you would have lost all of you buttons!"
There was a round of applause at this, but the small maiden remained undaunted.
"Is that a true story?" She demanded with severity in her voice.
"Of course its true!"
"Well I don't believe a word of it!" With that, she turned and walked away.


   And that is from chapter one! Here's a part from chapter two: 

They met in the middle of the bridge and they could not pass each other, and each would not let the other pass first.
"You're to let me pass over first because I am a girl!" She stated emphatically.
"Boys never go back! A soldiers son, never! I'm not going to turn my back to the enemy! It would be a disgrace to my button if I did!"
"That old button!" The tone was of utmost scorn.
Teddy's cheeks grew rosy but he said nothing.
"I got to this bridge before you did," she continued.
"I began to cross it first, and you who are you?" Demanded Teddy. "No one knows anything about you, and I have been crossing this bridge for years."
"More reason you shouldn't cross it now. My name is Nancy Wright, that's who I am."
A princess could not of revealed her name more royally, she added after a pause, "And I mean to cross over first, so go back."
"Never! I never go back!"
"Then I shall push you over into the water."
"Come on and try then."
Then there was a silence and they eyes each other defiantly yet doubtfully, as if measuring one anothers strength, and their faces grew eager at the upcoming contest.
"Boys always got to give way to girls." Nancy said, using her strongest plea, "You're not a proper boy at all."
"And you're not a proper girl, you are wearing a sailors suit and hat!"


That was chapter two, you can read the rest of that if you buy the book! Here's some of chapter three: 

(Remember to try to sound this out in you head with an English accent) 

"I'll try to be good in church today mother, I promise!"
"Lets not act like last time, let us be good in church today."
"I promise I will try mother, it is just so hard to sit still."
As Teddy quietly perched himself quietly next to his mother. He murmured to himself, "Twenty soldiers in front of me, twenty guns pointing, I shall stand like a rock, I'll set my teeth, I shan't even blink my eyes. Now I see the officer coming, he is going to say, 'Present arms!' I'm not going to move a muscle. Five minutes more they'll give me-" 
His active brain here received a check. There on the opposite side, facing him, was Nancy, seated between her mother and old Sol. She was still in her white sailor suit, with her dark mischievous brown eyes fixed steadily on him, Teddy could not remain unmoved beneath her gaze for long. His little hands were working nervously in his coat pockets. Why did she stare at him so? Well, he would stare back! So blue eyes and brown confronted each other for some moments with unblinking defiance. At last Teddy's patience gave way, and twisting upon his little features into a most grotesque grimace he mounted a hassock to give her the full benefit of it.
Instantly, out came a little red tongue at him, and at this daring piece if audacity he gasped aloud, "I hate you!" 

You get to read the rest of that chapter if you get the book. Alright! 

"Nancy! I have enlisted in the Kings army!"  (that would be Gods)
"Oh, you have?"
"Yes, you see," he brought out a white handkerchief and he snapped off a branch, and carefully tied the handkerchief to the branch, and carefully spread it out, with ink all over it, it said in scrawly handwriting, the words 'LOVE' were written all over it.
"Love?" She asked curiously, "what does that mean?"
"It's my banner of love that I am going to carry for my captain, that means I have even got to love you."
Nancy's lip pouted, "I don't want you to love me."
"I've got to do it."
"How are you going to do it?"
"I don't know. It is going to be very hard."

That was some of the fifth chapter, I'm not giving away any more of the book! 

SO those are some of the highlights, and some of my favorite parts. click here to find Teddy's Button here is the definition of it: 

Who is your most foul and cruel enemy? After reading Teddy's Button, you may have a new answer to that question. Flamboyant Teddy Platt cannot keep silent about the glorious history of his sacred button. Soon this passion brings him into contention with a new little girl in the village. God uses this enmity to bring Teddy to his knees, ready to sign up in the Lord's Army prepared for service in the war against his worst enemy - himself! Are you a faithful servant of the King flying the banner of Love over your life? Teddy has some lessons to teach us all.


Here's the book review(s) 


Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating A classic!
From  of Venice, FL, Florida on .
A great classic worthy of reading and purchasing




Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Highly Recommend
From  of Vancouver, Washington on .
A wonderful story for children to see a little boys dedication to his Lord.


And as you can see further in my post, people like the audio drama better! There is music to make the intensity more intense, different voices, and beautiful acting! Love it so much! 



To find the audio, click here They add such dramaticness to the audio! and its the best! I really love it, I encourage you to buy both, here's the definition of it:



"There were guns blazing, shells flying, and swords flashing and hacking away!" Teddy recounts the bravery of his father's heroic deed. But rivalry between a soldier's son and a sailor's daughter drives Teddy to his breaking point til he learns of a new battle, a new enemy, and a new Captain, whose orders are to fight all battles with the banner of love! Lamplighter Theatre is delighted to bring you one of our most treasured stories of all time and an instant classic in the Lamplighter Collection.




And here are a few of my favorite reviews:



Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating A favorite of my children
From  of Crown Point, Indiana on .
We have now purchased ALL of the Lamplighter audio dramas and there is not one that we don't love. Teddy's Button happens to be a particular favorite with my children though...they play it over and over again. I don't even know how many times we have listened to it now and we've only had it for a little over a month. These are so superbly done...you won't be disappointed if you purchase this one.



(It's good for girls too, don't worry!) 


Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Highly Recommended!
From  of Colorado Springs, Colorado on .
What a superb story for boys! This is a story of spiritual growth and forgiveness for Teddy, as he learns to be a soldier in God's Army, carrying the banner of love and standing guard against his worst enemy - himself! A timely lesson for us all.




Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Highly recommended
From  of Fitchburg, Massachusetts on .
Oh Lamplighter Theater, I just love you! No one else creates audio that makes and displays such great character development. I hope my kids use your characters as role models instead of a lot of the shallowness out there (and by that I mean that not only are there few morals, but also less depth!). Plus, the language is just high enough so they can advance their literary skills. So thankful these were shared with our family. I now share this with all my friends so hopefully they are buying stuff, too.



(Yes Lamplighter Theatre, I love you too! Beautifully portrayed stories and dramas!) 


Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Positive Rating Spellbinding
From  of Rhome, Texas on .
My young boys sat spellbound listening to this beautifully done story. We had already read the book and this dramatized version certainly did it justice. This story played a sweet role in my son's understanding of his need for a Savior to help him fight self and sin in his heart. A must-have for every family


The one right above was my favorite! It was such a sweet comment, and yes, this book, and drama, will help you understand the need of repentance! 
I encourage you to buy this, despite the price! It's the best! 





God bless all, have a great day! -Olivia



















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! So glad to have you visit my blog, and thanks so much for commenting!

Each comment makes my day! Have a great day!
♥ -Olivia